Libraries are starting places for the adventure of learning that can go on whatever one's vocation and location in life....
The Library of Dev Samaj College for Women, Chandigarh is
temporarily housed in a hall measuring75 X 30 sq.ft on the second
floor of the college building. The Library hall is surrounded by noise free and inviting reading environment for the readers. The Library hall has the facility to accommodate 75 readers at a time to access the information resources available in the library. The Library operates from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm on all working days. The Library subscribes to 82 periodicals and has the collection of 18000 books and other documents in the subject fields of Humanities; Social Sciences; Information and Communication Technology; Fashion Designing; Management and other related areas. The special collection of the Library consists of CDs and DVDs on ICT and other subjects of interest on Value Education, Biographies, etc.The budget allocation for collection development is made available by the college and UGC from time to time.
VisionThe Library of the college aims to be the best in providing access to the world of information technology application. Our Inspiration The five laws of Library Science enunciated by Dr S R Ranganathan, the father of Library Science in India.
- Books are for use
- Every book its reader
- Every reader his/her book
- Save the time of the reader
- Library is a growing organism
AutomationThe Library has computerized its operations in 2004 using Libsys software, which was produced by the INFLIBNET Centre, Ahmedabad. The Circulation functions-membership, issue and return are the first ones to get automated and gradually the entire operations of the Library. The database of the library collection can be accessed by the user through Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) using the software. The library has automated the acquisition of books and Stock verification. The library has four computers that are connected with each other and has scanner and printer. The library is provided with an INTERNET connection to access World Wide Web for immediate information requirements and for email facility. The library is connected to LAN within the Campus.
- Lending Service
- Current Awareness Service
- OPAC Search
- Reference & Information Service
- E-mail/Internet Search on demand
- Display of BOOKS/PERIODICALS New additions consisting of books/periodicals are displayed as and when they are received in the library for the benefit of library members. The list of new additions of books and list of periodicals subscribed in the library are also displayed on the notice board to attract the students and teachers to the new books/periodicals.
- BOOK EXHIBITIONS- The Library organizes display of books out of existing collection on a particular subject to maximize the use of collection in the library. Besides, books received on approval from the booksellers are also put on display so that the members could give suggestions in the collection development of the library.
- DEAR CLUB- The Library has set up Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) club to motivate its members to spend sometimes in the library to read other than textbooks. This year the club organized readers motivation program me on reading habits. The club has over 60 members and has ad Advisory Committee.
- ORIENTATION PROGRAMME- At the beginning of the session, the new students is explained about the use of library and how to use the library for study and personal development. This programme brings awareness about the library and its services.
- LIBRARY RELATED COMPETITIONS- The library has the tradition of organizing library related competitions to create interest amongst the students in reading good books and location of valuable information in the library collection. Through the reference-hunting contest, the students would be in a position to locate the requires information from various reference sources. The college students participate regularly at these inter-college competitions being organized by the Chandigarh Librarians Association. The college team has been wining this competition for the last two years.